You may have already noticed, but I do not grade my pins in the usual A, B format. Enamel pins are entirely handmade by the factories that produce them. I am a visually impaired artist. It is physically impossible for me to spot every imperfection that comes with handmade items. Thus, I’ve adopted a “Standard Grade” and a “Seconds” system.
Standard Grade – encompasses everything from what someone might consider an “A grade” to minor imperfections. This can include:
– small scratches, scuffs, and underfills in areas that are not the main focal point of the pin
– any imperfections that are not visible while viewing head on such as minor marks or any kind of marking (minor or major) on the back.
– bubbles or rippling in epoxy if it is not on a main focal point
– any stains in the enamel that fits the pin’s theme aka “happy accidents”
– some miscolored glitter in glitter pins
Seconds Grade – anything below standard grade, but not considered a “loss” grade.
– larger scratches, scuffs, and underfills in areas that are not the main focal point of the pin
– small scratches, scuffs, and underfills in areas that are considered the main focal point
– larger bubbles or rippling in the epoxy
– any small stains in the enamel that do not fit the pin’s theme
– large amounts of miscolored glitter in glitter pins
Loss Grade – any large imperfections that I do not feel comfortable selling at all. If you are a pin modder and would like pins at cost, please contact me.